Monday, March 2, 2015

Para Hard To Sell

I love paranormal fiction and by that I mean vamps, werewolves, shifters, witches, etc. I read it. I watch it. I write it. It’s my nitch. Out of the five books that I have written (three are published with Secret Cravings Publishing and they are wonderful to me), four of them are the above stated category and I won’t stop there. I even go as far as to use sexy romantic suspense as my subgenre with my yummy creatures.


Here is what I’m upset about. The market isn’t ripe to sell my beloved babies. I just don’t understand that. My series hasn’t been accepted by a publisher as they claim no market for it but I’m seeing consumers chomping for more stories like Sookie Stackhouse, Teen Wolf, and even good old Buffy the Vampire Slayer. Some can say these are also Urban Fantasy and I’m not about to argue over the details and differences between the close knit subjects, as I fall right smack in the middle of them.
If my genre is so hard to sell or even “too saturated in today’s market”, then how is it that the people like me are breathing heavy as we wait for the following:

J.R. Ward                        The Shadows
Jeaniene Frost               Bound by Flames
Laurell K. Hamilton       Dead ice
Lara Adrian                      Stroke of Midnight
Sherrilyn Kenyon          Dragonbane

Am I alone in the confusion I feel over this? Yes, I understand that not everyone likes to read the same thing that I do and I’m fine with that as it leaves more for me. Some of my writer friends are in this boat with me and they’re hearing some of the same things that I am. Are we the “plus size” of the market and have to find someone that will see us at our full potential? (Yes, I’m a bigger curvy girl and can say that. Don’t judge.)  Maybe it’s the big houses that are having the problem as my small house took them. Shrug.

Publishing houses may be overlooking my talent but I’m not going to stop writing what I love to read. I simply can’t as it feels like I’m betraying a much loved part of myself. How do you guys feel? Am I a minority or just misplaced in the writing world? And don’t take this as me bashing any one house as that is not the point of this post. I truly want to know why my genre is so difficult to sell so I can understand what other hoops that I need to jump over. If there are any publishers who want to say something about the market, then please feel free. Just know, no bashing is allowed, just steps on overcoming these hurdles.

)))Corset Hugs(((

Ginny Lynn
Wenchwriter

No comments:

Post a Comment