Monday, September 22, 2014

Do you read what I'm seeing? Seeing v/s reading - A Writing Excercise

While painting the walls in my new place, I started listening to the audio books that were saved to my laptop. This was a great break from the radio stations that were annoying me and solved the problem that we had no internet for my Pandora stations. In doing this, I got a great idea today and it's the difference between hearing a scene instead of reading one.


Think about it. I'll even give you an example - Beetlejuice.


Remember the scenes where the Maitlands turn into their Scary Selves? You saw Adam bring his nose out to resemble a sub sandwich and Barbara popped her eyes onto her tongue, but could you write that? The music and sound effects go hand in hand with the visuals but how would you translate that onto a page? Would you be able to do it justice? 


 What about the scene where their skin turns into alabaster prunes? Yes, colors are a great way to handle this but is it enough? The sound of the aging process being multiplied has to come through with your choice of words.


Dancing to the tunes of the crazy beat during the dinner party? Can you write as if you are actually hearing the music in your own room? Does the choreography run over your fingers as you jot the moves down?


Is Lydia soaring by the broad shoulders of the ghost football players as the hat boxes play the drums? 


You get what I'm saying, right? As a writer, I need to be able to see, hear, and read the words that are on the page as if they are a fully pixelated movie inside of my head. It needs to pop like 3D and move like a two hour drama. How many of you are going to see what you can do with these scenes? Use it as an exercise and see if you can work some magic. 

)))Corset Hugs(((
Ginny Lynn

Wench Writer



No comments:

Post a Comment